Recently I pinpointed the cause of those nasty Drivecleaner spyware installations some of you have been complaining about. They were caused by an exploit with Adbrite ads, so as a solution I have disabled that adstrip indefinitely. I urge anyone who uses Adbrite to do the same, as they have no way of stopping people from embedding spyware into their text ads.
UPDATE: The real cause of the Drivercleaner ads was a sneaky Flash-based ad in my Blogads strip. Once I figured it out, the Blogads folks were quick to remove the offending code. I have since disabled all Flash-based ads on my site, so this should never happen again.
I’m sorry for any grief the spyware has caused you all. Please make sure to let me know if you experience it going forward (you shouldn’t, but if you do, I need to know)!
Also, on that boring “blog maintenance” note, if you haven’t filled out my reader survey, please do so if you can. It’s really valuable for my advertisers, and they are the ones who keep the naked men and cute kitties coming every weekday. It only takes a few minutes, and if you’re really pressed for time you can skip the second half. Take the survey here.