« Previous entry: 'OMG gossip: Naked 'Twilight' for adults?'
» Next entry: 'OMG, How Weird: ABBA puppets sing ABBA'

!! OMG, who did it better? Gaga or Madonna !!

Lady Gaga drawing inspiration from Madonna's vast catalog isn't anything new, but this video mash-up highlights how much better Madonna did... well, everything. Am I wrong?

OMG, It's Here: The Alejandro Video
OMG, How Supportive: Lady Gaga talks Don't Ask Don't Tell on Larry King
OMG, he tells it like it is: Local news anchor
OMG, Lady Gaga Has a New Song: You and I
OMG, it's unplugged: 'Dancing On My Own'

» posted by Frank on Monday, June 14, 2010
comments: 29 | category: Musical |

comments

GaGa can sing, Madonna can't. Plus GaGa's musicianship is second to none-she got accepted to Juilliard. So GaGa by the length of the straight. I like people who can sing.

» posted by malx | March 6, 2011 3:55 PM

I'm in China,23 year old.I think Madonna did much better,yes, she is old now,but she is still much more huge than gaga world wide, you can easily see this through Maodnna's tours!!!
But I must admit,as time goes by,there must be the next madonna....I don;t think it would be gaga, born this way is a shame...
Don;t compare madonna to laga,there should be michael jackson who compares to madonna.You all know what I mean.

» posted by liuyong_401 | February 14, 2011 12:42 PM

not that i'm a madonna fan but...Ugh!!! cant stand gaga...her fans need to stop making her into something she isnt and will never be...GET YOUR OWN I DENTITY GAGA!!!...

» posted by sdfgdsgsdx | July 2, 2010 12:50 AM

As a Lady Gaga fan, I am very disappointed on how you misjudged her, first Gaga's the most original person I know in this world, She wears things people never wore before like pyro bra and disco stick, And She did not get all her inspiration from her, second you can NEVER say that Gaga has NO SEX APPEAL,God has given us eyes but each eye is different, we have our likes and we have our dislikes, Third Madonna is dying, hello! its 2010, newer is always better. Lady Gaga will soon take Madonnas throne, Madonna was not that famous when she was starting her career, but Gaga, her first few singles like Pokerface reached quadruple platinum while Madonna's first few singles like borderline only reached gold, And Gaga is way better in singing, she can really sing live, hit high notes and sing acoustically, I can hardly even recognized Madonnas voice in her recent single "Celebration I

» posted by trave | June 17, 2010 12:34 PM

"I Know i can do it better"...... words from Madonna, and she's right. I love both, think they're fantastic but Madonna does it better

» posted by pete | June 16, 2010 6:43 AM

Ooh haters fall back! Out with the old and in with the new! I've always loved Madonna but Hard Candy was shit and she's just losing the plot to be quite fucking honest. Of course Gaga takes inspiration from other artists, which artist doesn't? Before Gaga, everyone was hating on Madonna for hating on Kylie when they both took inspiration from Goldfrapp, Grace Jones etc.
And Gaga can saaang her ass off, I'd rather listen to her acoustic at times. Madonna has a nice voice but she can't really hit those high notes.

» posted by Darrika | June 16, 2010 2:07 AM

Madonna,

Did get her style influence from Cindy Lauper, in fact, Cindy sang better. Reminds me of Brittany and Cristina Aguilara.

However, Madonna changed her style and kept reinventing herself, not to mention used sex to promote herself into super stardom. Cindy did not.

One thing people overlook and should give Madonna credit on is ...

Without her (Madonna) in the 80's, 90's so forth ... things would have been different for all woman in today's Pop culture. She made it easy for the up an coming female pop stars to parade and show skin, be sexy and shock the public. No matter if you like her or not. No matter if you thought she was a whore or or had no talent. She set the tone. Thus made it a shoe in for anyone coming into the scene. No one is shocked today. Nothing really impresses us now. :( most of it has been done before.

Gaga is the new generation, let's just leave it at that. And yes, she's kicking ass and taking names. Give it time, let's see how long she keeps this up. She's not the Queen, How can u call her a Queen of anything yet? She has only been super famous for about 2 years. Not a world known household name yet almost, but not yet. Only time will tell.

Madonna, u are an amazing woman and inspire many. may the light shine through now and in the next life.

» posted by TheLight | June 15, 2010 6:31 PM

Madonna,
One thing people overlook and should give Madonna credit on is ...
Madonna, u are an amazing woman and inspire many. may the light shine th u now and in the next life.

» posted by TheLight | June 15, 2010 6:26 PM

GAGA can not SING! shes sucks and shes FUG! has no substance. her and her "stylist have been borrowing from Madonna from the start it just is more obvious now with the new Klein video.
One thing gaga is very young 24 and madonna really didnt hit huge fame until 25 26. So gaga will have to find a lot of new ways to have staying power cause she cant realy on a stylist and looks and lets hope she doesnt try the sex thing. BARF! As far talent. I find her music blah and lyrics really blah and voice blaaaah. Madonna doesnt have a huge range but she knows how to sing and change her sound with the time back in the day.

» posted by john john | June 15, 2010 12:47 PM

Sweet Jesus hanging and bleeding and dying on the cross WHO CARES? True fact, Lourdes is pregnant and her fetus has an evil twin which is about to eat it in the womb and said twin is the NEXT BIG THING as proven by the bitchin dance moves it busts in utero on those grainy B&W video thingies

God people, TRY to keep UP.

» posted by Krustofer | June 15, 2010 11:45 AM

GET A LIFE already!

» posted by andy | June 15, 2010 9:26 AM

The old addage is still true: everything old is new again. I love when tweens and teens fall in love with a song that's a remake... and now Jay Z has messed up Forever Young. BUT, we don't want to see old ladies (with grown children) prancing around in their torpedo bras, so bring on the Gaga! I love Madonna and I love Gaga AND I love Radio Gaga, the Queen song the Lady took her name from AND I love Dancing In The Dark AND I love Vogue AND I love Teeth...

» posted by K! | June 15, 2010 6:50 AM

I like Madonna but Lady Gaga is the new Queen, there has never been someone that can be so weird and pull it off besides her. Im going to the Gaga concert in July, the tickets sold out in less than 5 hours.....

» posted by shae | June 15, 2010 4:14 AM

Ironic, considering Madge originally swiped her image and style wholecloth from Cyndi Lauper.

» posted by mrpeenee | June 14, 2010 8:35 PM

you are not wrong. you are 100% correct. (crazy) hat's off to gaga, now bow to madonna.

» posted by beau kner | June 14, 2010 8:04 PM

I love Gaga's crazy sense of style,she has an amazing vocal range as well...But I'm In LOVE with Madonna's voice...And yes I have heard her sing live with no lip syincing,no backing music or just with her guitar and she sounds magnificent!And my boyfriend says I'm hard to please…

» posted by Tombigbee | June 14, 2010 7:07 PM

gaga is such a poor copy.

LONG LIVE OUR QUEEN,
love you madge

» posted by chris | June 14, 2010 6:27 PM

And most of these comparisons are absurdly superficial and could apply to just about any artist working today or in the past. Madonna is amazing but she didn't invent the wheel.

» posted by SKOC211 | June 14, 2010 5:35 PM

Except Gaga can ACTUALLY sing. Evita was a vocal travesty.

» posted by SKOC211 | June 14, 2010 5:31 PM

See, this is a problem. Madonna putting on a boom box or having people dance in her music and gaga doing the same thing is not Gaga ripping off madonna. I could argue that Madonna ripped off plenty of other artist, also. Hitting play on a boombox is not original. That having been said, Gaga draws from a lot of different areas. Watching Alejandro, I saw Madonna, Rammstein, Manson, and a number of other artist. But I also saw that it was a mash up that was uniquely gaga.

» posted by Vito | June 14, 2010 4:59 PM

gaga is all style and no substance and zero sex appeal. she's a real plain jane. Madonna has real creative talent and could seriously dance - a trained dancer - check madonna's body when she was young - well nigh perfect. i can only hope this talentless, attention seeking, self-serving gaga person just evaporates as soon as possible. she just wants to be famous.

» posted by cheeky | June 14, 2010 4:53 PM

Yeap. You are wrong. Madonna didn't everything better.

» posted by Lexxvs | June 14, 2010 3:33 PM

@19j91

You haven't seen Evita have you?

....

and score!

» posted by Steven | June 14, 2010 2:51 PM

I think Lady Gaga definitely draws inspiration from Madonna, bu I think that when it comes to actual vocal talent, Gaga is way better. Have any of you ever heard her sing her songs acoustically? I don't know if Madonna has done that before, but if she has, it probably wasn't all that spectacular. Madonna is more of an entertainer - she puts on shows, and she does it amazingly well, but she isn't an awesome singer by an stretch of the imagination. Not hating on Madonna, don't get me wrong! I personally like Lady Gaga better, but I think that might be my age...

» posted by 19j91 | June 14, 2010 2:32 PM

Long Live The Queen!!!! Yes Lady Gaga will forever be just Lady but Madonna is The Queen! Besides, come on, look at it, Madonna is waaaaaay much hotter than Gaga! Find me a straight guy who fantasizes about Gaga...yup, i see no hands... creativity wise, Her Madgesty tops it as well...

» posted by philip | June 14, 2010 12:39 PM

It's a fine line between inspiration and rehash. This video seems to suggest that Madonna has been less of a model for Gaga as she has been a playbook.

» posted by 7 | June 14, 2010 12:06 PM

I like this video...I don't see anything wrong with it.GaGa just gets creative with images she borrows, just as Madonna did before her.The video highlights where the overlap occurs, but to me, they are still two different people with different styles.GaGa said it herself, everything she does has been done before; she just wants to present it in a whole new way. Her own way. I Love them both but Madonna is still the Queen and always will be.

» posted by Tombigbee | June 14, 2010 11:10 AM

As much resemblance as there may be between Lady Gaga and Madonna, I do not think that Lady Gaga should be "accused" of plagiarism. Everyone sort of understands that Lady Gaga is the new Madonna. I am not saying that Gaga will be able substitute Madonna. Madonna will always be The Legend of pop culture, a fashion icon. She defined a revolution in music, fashion and feminism.
Madonna is the queen of pop, Gaga is the princess of pop. Madonna practically said it herself.

But I do admit... it IS creepy that Gaga copied so much from Madonna....

» posted by Dann | June 14, 2010 8:46 AM

I think Madonna did best. Looking at them side by side it really shows how cute Madonna looked back then especially with the short blonde hair. Gaga definitely looks like she is ripping off Madonna. I thought that more so on the latest video. Madonna was shocking back then because nothing had been seen like that before. When gaga does it, we just think of it as fashion and it's not that big of a deal. Madonna is getting older so it only makes sense that someone else comes along to entertain us. Gaga needs to have more orginality, the most she has shown so far has been for the telephone video, but perhaps it will be hard to be original when Madonna seems to have covered just about everything!

» posted by Chad | June 14, 2010 8:40 AM